Monday, October 29, 2012

When life gives you grapefruit-sized lemons...

When I decided I was moving to Texas, I knew that I wanted to grow all the things that would never fare in Seattle, like avocados and lemons!  And in the first week I arrived in June, my sweet boyfriend presented me with a lemon tree! And although my mother has a green thumb the size of Texas, gardening has never been of interest to me.

So I lamented for Weeks over what appeared to be a lime growing on this tree. I watered it and discarded the ugly leaves and read up on other's experiences. But the prognosis seemed grim, and I was heartbroken when the only other tiny lemon fell off and died! Until one day in September I looked out the window to see all these beautiful white flowers blooming! The flowers then fell off, and I was again pessimistic about my ability to nurture what still appeared to be a lime tree. But as quickly as those pretty little flowers came and went, in the place where the flowers had been were now baby lemons! Tons! I was so thrilled! I was going home to Seattle for 3 Weeks of October, so the morning of my flight I dutifully added fertilizer and water and hoped for the best. And when I got back...... My lime has grown into a beautiful, grapefruit-sized lemon! And my lemon babies have doubled in size! I cannot wait to try some recipes with my very own, organic, home-grown, Texas-sized lemon!


What a joy to eat food you've grown organically, with love, in your own backyard! My first experiment will be lemon cherry coffee crumb cake!




No comments:

Post a Comment