Monday, July 30, 2012

The Importance of Taking Care of Your Skin

Stretch marks. Ugh its practically a four-letter in and of itself. Its just one of those facts of life. Women are particularly sensitive about getting stretch marks but lets be real, everybody everywhere has them, guys get them too. Stretch marks can be a result of all types of changes in your body's appearance; for me it was early, rapid puberty and then rapid weight gain after high school. And yes, guys get stretch marks too, from weight gain and even body builders get them from bulking up too quickly.

Most of us ladies see stretch marks after pregnancy, multiples, and any other reason we've gained weight. I'll be honest, I made excuses for not losing weight for a while and one of them was "Why bother, even if I drop the weight my stomach will still look awful and I won't wear a bikini any ways".



New stretch marks are red or sometimes even purple, they eventually heal, lose their color, and become just scars. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH how important it is to take care of your skin while you lose weight! And don't be too eager to lose it all RIGHT NOW! (picture your stomach as a deflated balloon...)
But there are some things I personally did while losing weight to help my body heal! Without spending a buttload of money, I might add.

1. Just, STOP with the muffin top already!!!
I gained 50lbs right after high school, right when Abercrombie super-duper low rise jeans were HOT.... cue the muffin top! This was sooooo hard for me to accept! I felt like I was wearing mom jeans! Ladies, PLEASE, swallow your pride and buy some high-waisted jeans! Two reasons: 1) its far more attractive to wear pants that fit WELL rather than pants that just... "fit". Don't be in denial... just because you can still wear the same jeans does not mean you still FIT into the same jeans, get me?! (Don't make me get all Dr. Phil on y'all) and 2) wearing a high waist will hold it all in tight, close to your core and not give gravity the chance to wreak havoc on your body.



2. Skin firming lotion
We all waffle about whether or not these lotions really work. Maybe, maybe not. I personally had a fair amount of luck using just regular old Nivea skin firming lotion. I didn't see much change with cocoa butter. I applied the lotion in the morning after a shower and before bed, every day, religiously while I was hitting the workouts hard! Apply in a circular, upward, massaging motion so you're working against gravity!


3. Vitamin E oil
I mixed a few drops of vitamin E oil in with my lotion each time I applied it. Vitamin E oil is GREAT for your skin, it will keep it soft and help with healing as well. I also started taking vitamin E capsules by mouth to keep my skin happy from the inside out!


After weeks and week of sticking to this routine like my bikini body depended on it... I have to say I'm pretty pleased! I truly honestly have reduced the appearance of my stretch marks, my skin is tighter, happier, (I used to say I had cottage cheese stomach!!!) and some day soon I'll be at my total goal weight and rockin the bikini! Full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment